This episode was plenty of fun. No pre-content rambling from me here today, let’s just get into it.
Who we are:
- Purple = Aria (well of knowledge)
Green = Plyasm (sick and trying to stay alive)
- Blue = Astral (shounen enthusiast)
- Red = Me (demon apologist)
1. What are your general thoughts on this episode? [Mandatory]
I thought we were getting off the stinking mountain (to reappropriate some words from one of the Kakushi) last episode…I guess I probably should’ve seen that Rui backstory coming, though.
A pretty solid episode, honestly. It’s sorta nice to be back to some of the lighter character interactions now that the threat of Rui and the spider family has passed.
I appreciated the Rui backstory, and enjoyed the interactions between Tanjiro, Giyu, and Shinobu. And Shinobu’s little sister is cute.
- I found I didn’t have a lot to say because not a whole lot of especially exciting things happened this episode. Not to say it was bad or anything, but compared to the last few episodes, it was much more tame.
- I guess I tend to like tame episodes. Compared to flashy battle spectacles, I find subtle character interactions more fun.
- I’m honestly not sure if Kanao and Shinobu are sisters…
2. Did the episode fit your expectations, and in which ways did it differ from it? (If it does) [Mandatory]
I just said why the episode didn’t fit my expectations in Q 1…
Yeah pretty much.
Did not anticipate the Shinobu attack, or how earnestly Giyu reacted to everything. I still don’t completely get Shinobu, and I think that’s a charming thing about her.
3. What do you expect to happen from here on out? (and why) [Mandatory]
Hashiras gotta be Hashiras in front of Tanjiro…whatever that may mean. Hopefully there’s some kind of lifted sanction for Nezuko, since I sure as heck don’t wanna see her get killed.
I think i’m pretty much just waiting to see how far we get by the end of this season…
I’m guessing the Hashira would hold some sort of council meeting to decide what to do with Nezuko, which doubles as an opportunity for us to see what their personalities are like. Unless they did that already and all of it happened while Tanjiro was unconscious.
4. Which scene got the most reaction out of you? (If any at all)
When it hit me that “the other one” Shinobu was referring to was Kanao. I didn’t think she’d show up so soon, I guess…*suddenly worries about when we’ll next see angry-for-the-sake-of-angry Final Selection participant (for the benefit of the caught-up, his name is Genya)*
The mini Nezuko running away has totally taken the internet by storm… Adorable and hilarious, 100%.
Shinobu calling Giyu out on his lack of popularity. Brutal enough for me to spit my tea, had I been drinking any.
- The mini Nezuko memes I’ve seen so far are funny, but I had to specifically Google them to find them…which is vaguely disappointing. The Jojo one in particular (I’m paraphrasing it so I don’t have to find it, but the one where Nezuko = “me watching SoL animes” and Kanao = “my friend going, ‘watch Jojo'”) is a highlight.
5. Which character did you like the most this episode? Have they done anything in particular/changed?
Giyu. I like his reaction faces.
Can I make this a combo pack? Because I love the interactions between Shinobu and Giyu… They’re so different, but have this weird rivalry/friendship going on.
- I’ve already seen so much Giyu x Shinobu fan-art over the Internet, and I have to say that I kind of ship it?
6. What’s the high point of the episode for you and why? [Mandatory]
When Tanjiro wakes up to see every Hashira bar Giyu (the one Hashira who’d ever stand up for Nezuko in a tussle, as we found out this episode). Continuing from last ep, it’s another big “oh crap” moment.
Man, that Hashira reveal was well-done. A really nice climax in an episode that really didn’t have much action, a nice cliffhanger leading into the next episode.
The crow intervention that stopped anything crazy from happening. Shinobu was really gonna give “heel prick” a new definition…
7. What can be improved in this episode and why? (a.k.a low point) [Mandatory]
Maybe make it clearer (through language, the visual stuff was fine) that “the other one” was Kanao.
It felt a tad slow-paced to me. Maybe that’s just because the previous episode was so exhilarating, though.
I thought Rui’s redemption was really touching (especially when his hair colour reversed), and I was buying every bit of it until he let out a very bad sob. Can’t be too harsh on a guy for sobbing disharmoniously, I guess.
8. Pick a situation from this episode. If you were put in this situation, how would you have handled it?
It occurred to me that Kanao was wearing a skirt to go demon slaying. It’s said you should “[n]ever wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth” (Henrik Ibsen) and this ain’t Strike Witches, so…whoever’s responsible for such a decision (I don’t know who to blame for this), please make sure she wears something underneath, rather than dodging the scenario like with Nezuko.
I feel like Shinobu was a bit vindictive towards Nezuko, especially when Tanjiro and also Giyu, another Hashira, were working hard to keep her safe. Even if I hated demons a lot, I feel like I would have at least been curious and wanted to know more about the situation.
Pity your enemy all you want, Tanjiro, but dammit, stab that syringe into Rui before he dissipates! What a waste of a perfectly accessible blood source.
- …No, I don’t care who Henrik Ibsen is, I just think the quote is funny.
- I actually can’t recall if the skirt issue is ever addressed in the manga…
- Is the main concern here about showing too much skin or exposing vulnerable flesh to the enemy? Because if it’s the latter, I don’t think the uniform isn’t all that protective either. If it’s just an aesthetic, flitting gracefulness being a part of the family’s style and all…then I don’t think there’s so much harm in intentionally or unintentionally fanservicing demons that you know you’re gonna kill anyways.
- It’s a bit of both, really, Moya. (Now that I think of it, I don’t think I’ve seen too many female characters in shonen wearing shorts or pants, which is part of why I complain. Even PreCure has a series where the magical girls wear shorts under their skirts…)
9. Most beautiful scene? (screenshot) [Mandatory]
Nice scenery and Ukogi in the same screenshot…that’s the best compromise I can make for this show, really.
More than anything, I just find this scene amusing.
Nice lighting on a good duo.
10. In 10 words, summarise what you want to say about this episode. (A good joke question?) [Could also be a haiku or other things of that creative nature, Mandatory]
Getting off mountains
Is harder than it looks when
There is infighting.
Chasing little nezuko
From spider’s mountain
Rui and Nezuko remember their childhoods at the wrong moments.
It looks like Taisho Secret is our current trend.
Giyu is getting pretty popular these days. Granted, he may never topple the popularity of Smol Nezuko, but I do enjoy the Giyu memes and/or fan-art I’ve seen.
Now, I’ll let you in on a Taisho Secret!
I saw Giyu in my neighbourhood a few days ago!
(I was listening to music on my walk and I very nearly crushed him.)
Well, anyways, that’s it for today! Coming up next: the Hashira confrontation.